Friday, July 16, 2010

The Perks

Most of us work because we need to pay the bills and, if we're lucky, we might also get some perks. Typical perks include things like paid holidays and health care, then there are off-beat perks...things like fresh cut flowers and vegetables.
While these things aren't free just because I work for a land preservation group, I consider it a perk that every Thursday on my way out of the office driveway I pick up bags of fresh produce from my CSA: a colorful abundance including basil, carrots, beets, cucumbers, squash, broccoli, and very flavorful garlic. And this Friday, the on-site education center opened their "pick your own flower" field, so I spent my lunch break picking sunflowers, sweet peas, and zinnias.

There is just nothing like fresh herbs and bright sunflowers to quite literally perk your mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment