Tuesday, May 1, 2012

DIY State Art: California Love

I have been loving the look of those cute, modern "I heart my state" prints that people sell on Esty, so I decided to try my hand at making one myself.
Even though California isn't our home, it was at one time and it will always hold a special place in our hearts. Plus, it seemed like an easy shape to outline!
Some people create prints on the computer, others paint it on canvas, but I wanted to use an old wooden frame I had just spray-painted white so I decided to make mine using two pieces of scrapbook paper--cheap and easy.

I first found the silhouette image of California from a simple Google image search. After zooming in to get it to the desired size, I printed it out.
The second step was gluing the image to the back of a cereal box to give it some stability. Once dry, I cut out the state and used an exacto-knife to trim the stencil onto the patterned scrapbook paper. The blue piece of paper just had to get taped behind it.
I cut out a little heart (first in green, but it blended in too much so I swapped it with yellow) and put it down near San Diego. 

1 comment:

  1. Super cute! I was born and raised in Cali and now live abroad. I totally want to make this :)

    ReplyDelete