Thursday, December 13, 2012

Christmas Tree Alternatives

Downtown Durham lights the Lucky Strike water tower for Christmas, though if you ask me it could use a little more "oomph." I was more impressed by the luminaries lining the waterway.


Also, Tommie's work decorated a tree for charity along with lots of other Durham non-profits.
We don't do trees in our house, so the closest I get is decorating the mantle and putting up our little tin tree. 
While part of it is just to avoid the hassle, the other part is because real and artificial trees are not environmentally friendly. My husband is a real Grinch about it, but it does make sense when you think about every household in America that has to cut down a tree, or buy a plastic tree from China.
While I do miss the smell of fresh pine, I'm definitely willing to try some of the interesting tree alternatives out there.

Like making a tree from branches or driftwood:

Found here.

Getting a reusable wooden tree from Possibilitree or Jubilieetree:


Hanging ornaments on branches in a vase:
Found here.

Or going with a living tree we could plant afterwards:
Found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment