Friday, May 22, 2009

Guacamole for Dummies

To put my cravings for real (San Diego-style) Mexican food at bay since moving back to New England, I have been making my own guacamole on a weekly basis. It doesn't make up for the bland tacos they serve around here, but it helps. I make the simplest guac ever because I'm not much of a cook...why cook when I have Tommie around to do it for me?

Here are the simple steps:

- Start with one or two ripe avocados. Slice them in half, take out the pit, and scoop out the middle. Mush ("mush" being the technical term here) it in a bowl, mixing in the following ingredients:

- A bit of lime juice (I don't believe in measurements)

- A little salt

- 1 clove of garlic (minced)

- I have been cheating and instead of chopping up tomatoes and onions (which I don't care for anyway), I scoop a little bit of Trader Joe's Fresh Salsa into it, which has small, flavorful diced tomatoes and onions already in it. (*Not every TJ's carries the same items so this might not be in every store.)

- Let it chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes (I place it in the freezer to speed things up...I'm hungry).

No comments:

Post a Comment