Wednesday, October 14, 2009

$10 Therapy

I've been working my two new jobs for a month now and I'm starting to think my main job responsibility at both places is to be the very cheap resident therapist.

Today my boss and I spent all afternoon going over a new line of marketing products she's been anxious about starting. When we finished, she told her husband I was great to have around because I was so patient and all she needed was someone to sit there while she talked out loud. And on Monday one of the managers at the restaurant where I work apologized to me for sitting on the bench next to the hostess stand and pouring out his heart about the latest emotional turmoil between he and his friend/ex/girlfriend.

There must be something about me (probably a side effect of the weirdo magnet) that causes people to over share around me. I've always been a pretty good listener; I'm patient, and I can keep a secret. I've had friends tell me deep secrets then look at me and say, "I don't know why I just told you that...I promised myself I wasn't going to tell a soul." I think people are drawn to Libras for their sense of inner balance and ability to equally weigh all the sides. In addition, our indecisive nature is helpful to them because 9 out of 10 times they are not looking for an answer, but just need someone to act as their sounding board.

When the restaurant manager apologized again for talking so much about his life, I joked, "It's okay...that will be $200." And he said, "Wow, that's cheap...you've been here four hours!" He's right...but it's sad when that sounds like a hefty sum to a girl who makes nothing. I'm beginning to think I'm in the wrong profession here.

No comments:

Post a Comment