Saturday, October 24, 2009

Fall At The Orchard

Fall has always meant a lot to me...it means leaves on the maple tree in front of the fire station turning a brilliant shade of red and orange; it means my birthday; it means darkness coming earlier; it means crisp days and clear nights; and it means the orchard. Russell Orchards in Ipswich, Mass. has been under different management over the years but I'm happy it hasn't lost any of it's essential fall staples. It's probably the one place every kid who grew up on the Northshore remembers when they think of fall.The place itself signifies the season and all it has to offer: a yellow tree-lined driveway, apple-picking, piles of hay for the pigs and goats, rows of pumpkins in all shapes and sizes, fresh apple cider and the most delicious scent in the entire world from fresh baked cider donuts. I'm pretty sure if no one was there to stop me, I would have eaten this whole tray of them.

1 comment: