Saturday, February 18, 2012

I Prefer Books Over PreNatal Vitamins

I'm a planner, which is why I have started to read books on foster care and adoption so I have a better understanding of the road Tommie and I plan to head down when it comes to "having kids." Some of the books are memoirs, some are more informative, and they're all interesting. 
As I got my stitches ripped out of my foot yesterday and the doctor attempted to seal up the wound that had been torn open again, all I could think about (and talk about because when I'm nervous and in pain I ramble) was how incredibely thankful I am that I planned all along NOT to have my own children. Honestly, I don't care if it makes me a giant sissy, or crazy, or hard to understand. There is no doubt in my mind that it is the right decision for me and if I am going to have kids, it is the way I was destined to have them. 


I know I'm lucky to have a husband who supports and even encourages this decision. Not only is Tommie glad he gets to keep the use of his hands (I think I tried to break one yesterday based on my foot pain alone), he is also very socially conscious and believes in helping others. 
Instead of reading "What to Expect When You're Expecting" (which is like a horror novel to me), here's a list of books I'm checking out that relate to the alternative:

- Adopting the Older Child, by Jewett
- Scars That Can Heal, by Louis
- Another Place at the Table, by Harrison
- The Stork Market, by Riben
- Nobody's Children, by Bartholet
- Like Family, McLain
- Growing Up in the Care of Strangers, by Brown/Seita
- Memoirs of a Baby Stealer, by Callahan
- Three Little Words, by Rhodes-Courter


Leave a comment if you come across or know of any others!

No comments:

Post a Comment