Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Bugs Before Cable

Yes, I'm weird and take pictures of insects and reptiles in our yard. I recently told one of Tommie's female colleagues that I used to collect and play with insects as a child because I didn't have cable television. She said that was in no way, shape, or form a valid excuse for playing with worms. Why didn't I just draw or something? Ha.

I hope that by the time there are kids in my life they aren't so far removed from nature that they never even see a worm. (Seeing it on an iPhone doesn't count.) No cable for them!

Anyway, here are some of the little guys I see around. I know my mother-in-law will like the snakes, but some of you might not appreciate them as much. None are poisonous...that I know of. I think they are cool...must be because I don't have cable again.
 Small black rat or racer snake (white belly?) trying to get into our storage shed.


Box turtle in the driveway.

 Orange-striped oak worm eating our oak trees.

Brown snake in our leaf pile.

Lizard with the bright blue tail on our deck. It's a Blue-tailed Skink. I love them!

2 comments:

  1. I think the top snake is more likely a rough earth snake - very interesting. Here is the link I used: http://www.herpsofnc.org/herps_of_nc/snakes/Virstr/Vir_str.html
    you may have to cut and paste to see the descriptions.
    I played with worms all the time, then moved to snakes - the multilegged things I have problems with - good for you, maybe you'll teach me. I do love the photos!! Very interesting markings on the brown snake... Can't wait to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In no way shape or form are you wierd! I think a healthy respect for nature is rooted from a healthy couriosity of your enviornment as a child. Nature is wonderful and beautiful and it's a shame that most kids now a days are so glued to the TV and video games. Its a great thing you are doing, so keep it up. Post as much of your adventures as you can. You never know who you might get off the couch. :)

    ReplyDelete