Saturday, January 21, 2012

DIY Decor: Fanned Paper Wheels

On our way through the mall the other day, I couldn't help but notice a window display (I think at the GAP), that involved a wall covered in fanned wheels made from magazines. I liked the modern, recycled, Asian-inspired look of the display and mentally noted that I would try making them myself for funky and free wall art.
When we got home I took an old, colorful Crate & Barrel store circular and got to work. When Tommie asked what I was doing, I said, "I'm making a window display," but I think he tuned me out because he seems surprised when he found them hanging on our bedroom wall.
The project is simple and goes back to elementary craft skills of making paper fans--it's just a lot of folding back and forth until you have enough "fans" to make a complete circle. I then wove a piece of thread through the bottom of each fan and used double-sided tape to seal the wheel. I hung them up with a tack.


A full "display" would look even better but I suppose it's not necessary for one's bedroom. A circular like Crate & Barrel worked well because it was a good size (8x10) and had a lot of colorful images in it. The big wheel is made of full pages, while the small one is pages cut in half. The best part is that its free and recyclable.

No comments:

Post a Comment